Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fencing

After talking to some other people at the garden, I decided that it would be worth my time and effort to install a fence.  Not only is my plot right next to the parking lot - which lends itself as a shortcut for dogs and children - there is a rabbit problem in the area.  One lady said that her whole garden was eaten by rabbits last year, another lady told me that half of hers was.


So, I did some research and headed to Home Depot for supplies.


After another full day's work, I had a rabbit-deterrent fence installed.  It's dug about 6-inches into the ground.  The fence is folded under the ground so that it comes out about 4 - 6 inches from the fence line.  The idea is that if the rabbits start to dig to try to get under the fence, they will hit the chicken wire and not be able to get in (or at least be deterred).  We shall see if it works.


I had a man come up to me and tell me something along the lines of the more time spent bent over in the garden (i.e. back-breaking work) I do, the better my garden will be.  (I think he was translating a quote from Russian.)  I told him that, if that's the case, I'm going to have a really great garden this year!

Beginning of day. 
End of day.

3 comments:

  1. Where's the door? Do you have to high-jump over the fence every time you go? Good work-out idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! The ends are shorter than the sides. I can just barely step over. Couldn't figure out how to easily put in a door while still keeping it rabbit-proof. Tony said they'd find any point of weakness and get in...so I opted for no door. Makes for a challenge after squatting to weed or plant for a long time then having to lift my legs that high, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbits are destructive and crafty, I agree with Tony. You get your stretching in after working hard, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete